Thursday, October 2, 2014

Rochelle's Journey--Part II



Never once did she lose faith or give up.  She fought like a champion. God allowed her to be healed and it certainly did not hurt to have her personal guardian angel guiding her through the process.  We gained a second guardian angel on July 29, 2013 when our Grandma Schmidt passed away due to complications from pneumonia. 



In the entries from her Caring Bridge website, Rochelle talks about comments people made to her along the way.  Remember the story from 1993 when people approached her at a home game when Mom was diagnosed?  I think that moment prepared Rochelle for the “silly” things people say without thinking.  Rochelle maintained a positive attitude about some of the ridiculous comments people made to her during her treatment. 



I think of Rochelle every time I hear the song “Overcomer” by Mandisa.  Rochelle shared a story about this song when she was going through treatment.  She said she was listening to K-Love on her Ipod while she was training for the Omaha Half Marathon.  A lady called in to talk about how much this song meant to her.  Apparently the caller from New York was battling Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and she too was training for a race.  She called into the station to let them know how much “Overcomer” meant to her.  This is yet another example of God working in our lives.  He reminded Rochelle in that moment that He was with her and He gave her continued strength to win the war!   Rochelle felt very uplifted after this experience. 
   

Staring at a stop sign
Watching people drive by
T Mac on the radio
Got so much on your mind
Nothing's really going right
Looking for a ray of hope

Whatever it is you may be going through
I know He's not gonna let it get the best of you

You're an overcomer
Stay in the fight ‘til the final round
You're not going under
‘Cause God is holding you right now
You might be down for a moment
Feeling like it's hopeless
That's when He reminds You
That you're an overcomer

You're an overcomer

Everybody's been down
Hit the bottom, hit the ground
Oh, you're not alone
Just take a breath, don't forget
Hang on to His promises
He wants You to know

The same Man, the Great I am
The one who overcame death
Is living inside of You
So just hold tight, fix your eyes
On the one who holds your life
There's nothing He can't do
He's telling You         

Below are portions of the entries taken from Rochelle’s Caring Bridge website dated July 12-October 25, 2013. 

July 12, 2013 (Cancer Free and Over Half Way Done)

I am so excited and I cannot hold it back...I am CANCER FREE! I have been waiting three months to say this. I am going to try to sum up the last couple of weeks. I know when I first started chemo treatments, Dr. Tarantolo confidently told me that that all of my cancer would be all gone after my chemo and Rituxin treatments. At first I was skeptical, but at the same time had the total confidence and faith that he knew what doing and God had a hand in his intervention.

I had my pulmonary function test and PET scan yesterday. I was nervous yet confident at the same time.  Dr. Tarantolo reiterated that the standard of care is to undergo four chemo treatments and repeat the PET scan.  Even if the PET scan is negative, the standard protocol of care is to repeat 4 more treatments. I can now say that I am on the downhill side of things and over half way done! What a good feeling that is.

I know I have said this before, but I have the best nurses and staff out at the Midwest Cancer Center. They are absolutely amazing and they always are looking after me.  All of the nurses are wonderful but I really connected with Ethyl.  Every time I see her, she tells me that she has thought about me all week. When I came in for treatment today I said that I had hoped that I would get great news today. She smiled the biggest smile you could see. I asked her if she knew something about the test, and she said, "Just look at my smile, that is all that I am going to say." As nurses and techs, we are not allowed to reveal test results. It is the doctor's job to report the results to patients. This eased my anxieties before I went to see Dr. Tarantolo. 

I have felt pretty good the entire time, but this last treatment kind of took a toll on me. My stomach felt a little uneasy and I was more tired. The first couple of days after treatment I spent my time taking naps. After a few days, I felt back to normal. My counts were also low again. I had to get Neupogen shots.  Mom was not kidding.  Those Neupogen shots really hurt!  My joints ached so bad this week.  After a little bit of Tylenol, I felt back to normal. I am still able to work full time.

July 26, 2013 (Six Out of Eight Treatments Done)

I think that I have finally came down after receiving such great news of being cancer-free two weeks ago.  I still cannot believe it!  I met with Dr. Tarantolo today and asked him about what is next after I finish up my treatments.  I will have a PET scan and then for the first year, I will have to get blood work and assessed every three months, then the second year I will go back every four months, then the third year I will go back every 6 months.  He said the chance of a reoccurrence is <1%! 
  

I am still training for the half marathon in September but I really need to get some motivation and consistency with my workouts.  It seems like we have been so busy therefore I only have been able to run maybe once a week.  I got up early today and put in 5 1/2 miles.  I plan on trying to run at least three time a week. 

Once again, thank you all for your continued prayers and support.  God is good and He has heard all of your prayers!  I feel so blessed and lucky to have lots of family, friends and co-workers support.  Telling people that I am cancer-free brings tears to people's eyes and sends chills down their spine. 

August 9, 2013 (One More Treatment Left)

Life has been pretty uneventful the last couple of weeks.  My labs have looked great despite having a cold for 2 weeks.  I am feeling much better now than I did.  Since this whole ordeal started with my diagnosis and treatments, I did have to call into work last week for the first time. 

This past week I realized that I needed to get my in gear because the half marathon is a little over a month away.  I ran on the elliptical on Monday and on Tuesday I ran 5.5 miles.  The past two days I ran 3 miles each day.  I have a competitive nature, but have come to realize that I might have to walk during the race.  I accept that this time it is under difference circumstances and the whole reason I am doing this is to accomplish my goal of finishing the race.  This year has definitely been a year of obstacles—from losing Mom and Grams and kicking cancer’s butt.

I have a couple funny stories to tell.  So when we were headed out to Indianola last weekend for my grandma's funeral, I got pulled over by a state trooper.  I take after my Mom because she had a heavy foot.  I think I got out of a ticket because the trooper felt sorry for me because I had my scarf on my head! 

Remember the story of the patient calling me a pirate?  I have had a doctor say, "Nice bandana!" I had another patient say, “You look like a biker."  Neither the doctor nor the patient realized I was undergoing chemo treatments for cancer.  They of course felt terrible about it and apologized over and over.  I wasn't offended at all.  I get a kick out of people's comments.

August 24, 2013 (A Little Too Confident)

I was unable to undergo treatment this week because my white blood cells were zeroed out.  I have to get lab work done next Friday and if my labs are good, he will give me my last treatment.  I was so upset just for the fact I have to wait a whole week to go through all of this anticipation again.

Usually I can tell if my counts are low, because I feel more tired than normal.  I felt a little tired, but I thought it was contributed to all of the running I have been doing to prepare for the half marathon.  Last Saturday, I ran 8.3 miles without stopping!  I have been running five times per week.  It helps to have my good friends/neighbors to help keep me motivated.  We get up and are running by 5:00 am! 

My hair has gotten so thin that my scalp started to show.  I went in yesterday and got all of it buzzed off so it can grow back in even.  The other day, I put a low and loose pony tail in my wig.  I cannot believe how many comments I got.  People thought I got a new wig.  It felt pretty awesome to be able to put my hair back in a pony tail again.  It reminds me how it is the little things that make people happy, and this week it was my pony tail!  

I asked Dr. Tarantolo when I can get my port out.  He said he want to keep it in another three to four months.  He let me stop my gout medication, but wants to keep me on my shingles prevention medication.  The reason for this is because he said even after chemo is through, three months after chemo is the peak/increased risk for developing shingles.

September 2, 2013 (Officially Done With Chemo)

My last day of chemo was bittersweet.  As much as I dreaded getting treatments, I knew after I received each one I was one step closer to being finished.  Everyone from my chemo nurses, receptionists, and Dr. Tarantolo, were outstanding and I couldn't ask for anything better.  The cancer center staff sent me off with bells, bubbles and whistles (literally).  What a great feeling!  So much has happened this past year, I would like to reflect back. 

Last year at this time, we got the most devastating news, my mom was considered terminal and her time was being cut short way too soon.  At the time we were wondering why she had to go through this.  Although my family was dealt a bad hand, I feel that God doesn't give you more than you can handle.  It all makes sense now that time has gone on.  I would have never known I had Hodgkin's Lymphoma if it wasn't for my mom encouraging me to go get a preventative mammogram.  She saved my life and I will be forever grateful! 

Tomorrow (September 3rd) is our 8th wedding anniversary and I am so excited to be sharing this day with the birth of my new nephew, Layton Gabriel Smith.  As I said before, last year at this time was so sad and stressful, now our lives are full of positive and wonderful things happening. At this point in my life, I have had a lot of time to reflect, and it is nice to feel back to "normal" and not feel constantly scared of what is going to happen next.  One thing I have learned from all of this is that you cannot worry what is going to happen tomorrow, take each day at a time and be grateful for the life you have.  Life is way too short—don't sweat the small stuff because in the end ot doesn't matter.  Life is so precious, grab a hold of it and seize the day.  
 
As odd as this sounds, I feel that having cancer I am forever changed, not necessarily negatively, but for the good.  I have gained a better understanding of what a lot of my patients and families have to go through.  It also taught me a lot of patience.  I also have a better relationship with God.  I truly believe that not only faith can get you through an illness or hard times, but having a positive attitude makes a huge difference.  I hope that I served as a role model for people going through similar situations. 

The best advice I can give you all: men and women, get your preventative exams done!  As much as we all dread going to these types of appointments, IT CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE, it saved mine!

THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts for all of your love and support!  





October 25, 2013 (Cancer Free and Cured!  On With My Life)

I received some great news today and I wanted to share it with you all.  I had my post-chemo CT PET scan on Tuesday and have been anxiously awaiting the results until today.  I met with my oncologist Dr. Tarantolo today and he said that my scan was clean!  God is the number one reason I beat this disease.  Although my family and I went through one challenge after another, we NEVER lost faith.  My mom's persistence of pushing me to get my mammogram was another reason I am still here.  She saved my life!  Everyone's constant prayers and kind thoughts and words of encouragement kept me going and fighting through each and every day!

I am awaiting a call from the oncology surgeon's office to schedule my port removal.  We are shooting for December.  It is so crazy how this whole journey started last year with my mammogram, and now it is ending with getting my port removed this December!  Let's hope that 2014 will be a much better year! 

So far, things have turned around for my family.  I am cured of cancer, Kirby had a healthy baby boy in September, and my dad has found a great lady companion who we love dearly.  As much as I love my mom, I know that she wanted dad to be happy, and he is.  Life is full of many surprises and heartaches, but the one thing a person cannot lose is faith and hope.

My hair is growing back dark.  I have gotten many comments that I should write down, because it makes me laugh.  All that I can do is laugh, because I cannot believe the things people will say.  I walked into a patient's room and said, "How are you doing today Sir?"  The patient responded, "I am great Sir, thanks for asking."  Being the nice person I am, I didn't correct him, I just laughed inside.  Today, I dropped off Anisten and Kardyn at daycare and a little girl in Anisten's class asked Anisten if I was her mom or dad.  The girl proceeded to say that I looked like a boy because I didn't have hair.  Anisten said, "My mom has hair, it is just short" and Anisten asked me to take off my hat to show the girl.  I am so proud of my daughter for standing up for me and for being strong for me!  I did have a patient tell me that she isn't gutsy enough to get a "haircut" like me, but she has always wanted to do it.  I told her that chemo sure is an expensive way to get your hair to look like this.  You should have seen her face, she felt so bad.  I told her that I will take her comment as a compliment.  Priceless moments.  Just wanted to share a few laughs with you all. 

Thanks again everyone for being there to support me and my family this past year!  I love each and everyone one of you!  I hope to pay it forward.  God Bless you all!”

No comments:

Post a Comment