Friday, August 8, 2014

Numerous--More Than Fifty



Monday, September 24, 2012 is a day I will never forget.  It was a very emotional day for many reasons but mainly because I received two faxes within minutes of one another that contained information on Mom’s situation as well as the results of my genetic testing.  I could feel myself trembling as the faxes came in one right after the other.  I have a direct fax line at work and a majority of the area codes I receive faxes from are 816 and 913 which are from the Kansas City area.  The two faxes I received on September 24, 2012 were both 402 area codes.  I felt as if I had been punched in the gut, kicked in the shins and slapped in the face amongst a whole host of other feelings.  My stomach was in a knot because I knew the faxes contained personal health information from the University of Nebraska Medical Center.  I dreaded opening the attachments because I had a strong feeling the information contained within the documents were not going to be good. 
I was in the process of handling paperwork for Mom and Dad for a cancer policy they purchased in 1992.  In July of 1992, a sleazy salesman showed up at our door in the middle of nowhere Nebraska trying to sell a cancer policy to my young parents.  The man was abrupt and rude.  Mom and Dad were not buying into his sales pitch and Dad eventually kicked him out of our house when he looked at Mom, put his finger in her face and said, “You are going to die of cancer.”  A few days later a nice, clean cut salesman showed up at the door wanting to sell Mom and Dad a cancer policy.  This man was from a different company and was professional.  Mom and Dad decided to listen and ultimately purchased a policy.  It is one of those policies in life that you never want to have to use but you are glad it is there should you need it. 

As previously mentioned in a prior post, I had a hard time stepping in as a care taker.  I finally felt like I was doing my part in because I was able to assist with processing Mom’s claims and fighting with the insurance company regarding claims made against the cancer policy purchased in 1992.  I am a paralegal at a law firm that typically defends lawsuits but in the situation with Mom, we were on the other side of it.  It was awesome to see how God paved the path and led us to our careers so we could be able to help out in a meaningful way during Mom’s illness.  It was perfect that Rochelle is a nurse and could help with care taking, talking to doctors and understanding the medical jargon.  Rochelle also had access to awesome social workers who could provide support and advice. I was able to help file claims and do what was needed to make sure the insurance company was not going to deny claims that were submitted correctly.  It was helpful to have access to some pretty amazing attorneys for advice when the insurance company was acting out of line by denying claims that should have never been denied. Long story short, after a lot of back and forth phone calls, faxes, resubmissions (and threats), the insurance company ultimately processed our claims as they should have in the beginning.  



In order to submit claims to the insurance company for the cancer policy, they required a copy of the pathology reports and diagnostic reports.  Rochelle and Dad contacted the University of Nebraska Medical Center to request this information so we could submit the claims to the insurance policy.  The first stomach turning fax I received on September 24, 2012 was the dictated report from Mom’s August 31, 2012 MRI of her brain.  Up until I read the report, I had strong hope that Mom was going to win the battle once again.  I know it was wishful thinking but I never wanted to give hope or the possibility of a miracle.  I knew it was an uphill battle but I knew Mom was a fighter and she had won the prior battles.  Every ounce of hope was crushed when I opened the attachment in the fax.
I went straight to the findings and saw numerous, more than 50 and at that point, I quit reading the report.  I did not need to see the details because I knew nothing positive was going to be contained within the report. I was crushed and heartbroken.  At that moment, barring a miracle, I knew there was no hope—Mom was going to die. 

Below is a copy of the complete report:

INDICATION- headache and dizziness with history of metastatic breast cancer

FINDINGS- Numerous, more than 50, small and tiny round enhancing lesions are distributed throughout bilateral cerebral hemispheres in the cerebellum.  In addition, there is extensive leptomeningeal nodular and coating enhancement about the cerebellum and cerebral basal though also in the left parietal lobe.  There is mildly prominent cortical edema in the right cerebellar hemisphere thought with only minimal effacement of the fourth ventricle.  

IMPRESSION- 1) widespread brain parenchymal and leptomeningeal metastic disease.

As you can imagine, my head was spinning as I was trying to come to terms with the situation we were faced with.  I knew we were in trouble and I wanted to fix the problem but obviously there was no fixing to be had.

Within minutes of receiving Mom’s MRI report, I received another fax from a 402 area code.  Before I could open the fax, my office phone rang and surprise, it was from a 402 area code.  The genetic counselor called to let me know that I tested positive for the BRCA2 gene.  I honestly was not surprised at the results of the genetic test but it was too much information at once.  I was still seeing “numerous, more than 50” so trying to completely understand all of the information that was being thrown at me from the genetic counselor was a bit much.  I was not devastated by the news that I was BRCA2 positive because we had a much bigger problem at issue and honestly I expected it.  During our genetic counseling session, Rochelle and I were told we each had a 50% chance of carrying the gene.  My intuition was telling me that I was a carrier of the gene.  During the middle of all of this, I was more focused on Mom and how I was going to deliver the news to my family about the results of the MRI and the genetic testing.  






Shortly after I got off the phone with the genetic counselor, Rochelle called me on my cell phone.  I could tell she was excited and wanted to share some news with me.  She informed me she tested negative for the BRCA2 gene!  I was elated for her but with her news the obvious question from her was, “Did you receive your results?”  I had played out the scenario in my head a thousand times of how I would respond when we received the results.  “What if we are both positive?” “What if we are both negative?” “What if I am positive and she is negative/vice versa?”  The biggest and most bothersome scenario was if I was positive, should I tell my family?  The obvious answer would have been yes if Mom was not dying.  If life would have been “normal” and we decided to get genetically tested, I would have had no problem telling my family the news of the positive results.  All of a sudden I am in the middle of a moral battle with myself.   It seemed liked time stood still when Rochelle asked me about my results and I could see all of the scenarios playing out.  At that moment I decided to tell her I too, tested negative.  She was so excited and quickly passed the phone to Mom.   

Before Mom got on the phone, I could hear Rochelle in the background telling Mom and Dad I tested negative.  I felt terrible!  I had always been honest with my family but I could not bring myself to tell my dying mother and grieving father the “truth.”  Mom got on the phone and she was crying tears of joy.  She asked me several times, “Are you telling me the truth?”  She expressed so much happiness and relief that both of her daughters tested negative.  When we were growing up, our litmus test for determining whether or not we were telling the truth was to ask or be asked, “Do you swear on the stack of Bibles?”  I fully anticipated this question from Mom.  Naturally, Mom asked, “Do you swear on the stack of Bibles.”  I gulped an answered, “Yes.”  The rest of my day was ruined.  I felt so torn about my decision.  I knew telling her that I tested positive would only bring her agony but lying to my Mom was such a hard thing to do.  I do not like to refer to it as a lie but as a selfless act in order to protect Mom.  Rochelle and Dad said they could tell Mom was at peace when she learned that both of us tested negative.  I knew at some point I would have to tell my sister and Dad the actual results of my test but I knew when Mom got to Heaven, she would know and understand why I did what I did.  That evening when Josh got home I shared the results with him and told him about my decision to not share the results with my family.  He supported me 100%!

I knew it was not up to me to hide information from my family about Mom’s health but I also knew there was no benefit to telling them about the numerous spots found on Mom’s brain.   I was having a hard time coping with the fact I just “swore on the stack of Bibles” to something that was not true.  I carried the burden of the results of the MRI for a couple of days and then I finally told Rochelle.  Her response was the same as mine—devastation.  With her being in the health field and seeing this daily, she knew the situation was bad but hearing the results of Mom’s MRI confirmed just how bad the situation was.  Rochelle proceeded to share the results of Mom’s MRI with Dad. 

In order for me to justify not telling Mom the actual results of my genetic test, I knew I had to be proactive with my health.  I immediately made an appointment with my OB/GYN for a consultation about the BRCA2 gene.  Not only am I at high risk for breast cancer but I am also at high risk for ovarian cancer.  My risk for breast cancer is a lot higher (94.5%) than my risk for ovarian cancer (50%).  In addition, my risk for breast cancer increases by age 30 and my risk for ovarian cancer does not increase until age 40.  During our discussion we agreed to focus primarily on the breast cancer prevention side because of the immediate increased risk.  I shared with her our wishes for a third child.  My doctor agreed with our plan and stated I would undergo surveillance every six months after the birth of our third child.  Surveillance includes blood work to check my CA125 levels and pelvic ultrasounds.    My doctor provided me with a lot of information and she referred to the Breast Cancer Prevention Center at the University of Kansas Medical Center.  

My doctor supported my decision to not report the positive results to my family.  She made me feel at peace with my decision by telling me it was a selfless thing to do—to protect my dying mother and grieving family.  I am a procrastinator when it comes to medical issues.  I have been living in Olathe for nearly 8 years and I still do not have a primary care physician.  I get nervous when my biannual dentist appointments roll around and I seldom take any over the counter medications. I knew if I delayed calling to make an appointment at the prevention center, it might not ever get done.  The day after my consultation with my OB/GYN I made an appointment for my initial consultation at the prevention center.  My appointment was made for October 24, 2012.

Josh and I spent a lot of time discussing and researching what the positive results meant.  We already knew what needed to be done to ensure I would never get breast cancer.  I knew I wanted to have preventative surgery but not yet.  The conversations were very emotional because I knew my risk for developing breast cancer was very high and but I was not mentally prepared.  I wanted to spend as much time with Mom as possible knowing she was on borrowed time and I wanted a third child. At that time I did not feel I could possibly have preventative surgery and then proceed with going through pregnancy.  It just did not feel natural at that point in my life.  

Josh expressed his concerns for me waiting to have surgery.  He knows I am a master procrastinator with medical issues and he feared if I did not have surgery right away it may never happen.  He also expressed concerns with me developing breast cancer and leaving him as a single dad.  We already were blessed with two healthy kids so it did not make much sense to him to try for a third and potentially leave him as a single dad to three kids.  I appreciated his concern and his support.  His support of me having preventative surgery shows what kind of a man he is.  He did not care about what I would look like but he cared that I would be around to share our lives together.  I am so grateful that he is/was supportive of me having surgery but I just was not mentally prepared at that moment.  I was only 28 years old and our family was in the middle of dealing with losing Mom.  Josh was very understanding and we knew we would have time to discuss our options.  We knew we would have a lot more information following my first appointment at the Breast Cancer Prevention Center.  

During the process, our family never lost faith or hope.  We were never angry but incredibly sad.  This is not how we imagined our lives would turn out.  A very dear friend of mine has experienced a lot of sadness and loss in her life. She had just lost her brother in a tragic accident and she was in the grieving process.  When we learned of Mom’s terminal diagnosis, I contacted her to let her know.  I really value our friendship and am so thankful our paths crossed.  She told me it is okay to be mad and warned me that at some point I will be mad and it is all part of the grieving process.  I can honestly say I was not mad at God but I was very sad and felt helpless.  During Mom’s illness, I developed a much closer relationship with God.  I have always had faith but during Mom’s illness I really found God.  In the past I heard people talking about accepting God but I never really understood this.  I now know and I am so thankful I have a new found relationship with Him.  I still worry about things but not like I used to.  I accepted the fact that we are not in control of our lives and we have to trust God to see us through situations and that everything happens for a reason.  Sometimes it is hard to see during the midst of the storm but it is very reassuring knowing that God has our lives planned out and all we have to do is trust Him. I am at peace with everything that has happened and am prepared to be at peace with situations I am faced with in the future.
I knew that all of this was happening for a reason and I knew we had to walk by faith, not by sight.  I dreaded the day Mom would pass away but seeing how strong she was during her illness confirmed her faith and we knew she was going to go to a much better place.  I feel as if we were being tested and I am happy to say, I feel our family passed the test!  We remained faithful and continued to pray for peace and comfort for Mom during her final days as well as her transition into eternal life. 

Below are the lyrics and a link to the song "Fall Apart" by Josh Wilson  


Why in the world did I think I could
Only get to know You when my life was good
When everything just falls in place
The easiest thing is to give You praise

Now it all seems upside down

'Cause my whole world is caving in
But I feel You now more than I did then
How can I come to the end of me
And somehow still have all I need
God, I want to now You more
Maybe this is how it starts
I find You when I fall apart

Blessed are the ones who understand
We got nothing to bring but empty hands
Nothing to hide and nothing to prove
Our heartbreak brings us back to You

And it all seems upside down

I don't know how long this will last
I'm praying for the pain to pass
But maybe this is the best thing
That has ever happened to me

No comments:

Post a Comment