Thursday, August 14, 2014

Miracles Happen



The full brain radiation treatments continued as planned.  Mom felt as if the radiation helped with her headaches and some dizziness but her balance was still off—very off.  Each passing day became more difficult to get Mom from the bedroom, to the restroom, up the stairs and into the chair in Ro and Scott’s living room.  She became so weak that it took quite the effort on everyone’s part, especially Mom, to navigate her throughout the house, much less to the vehicle and to radiation treatments.  It was especially shocking for me to see how quickly Mom’s health was deteriorating because I was not with her 24/7 like the rest of my family was.  They would call me each morning (M-W) to let me know that Mom struggled to get up the stairs.  She would get shortness of breath and it completely wore her out to go up and down the stairs.  She dreaded morning because she could not breathe very well when she first woke up.  The fluid in her lungs started slowly filling up and the inactivity during the nighttime hours seemed to make it worse.  We would get her up on the side of the bed and she would panic.  It took her some time to catch her breath but she was determined to get out of bed and get on with the day. Mom would get somewhat anxious near bedtime because with night comes darkness and silence and the dread of the impending morning struggle.  We found ourselves in a perpetual cycle but we still managed to get through it the best we knew how. 

When we arrived at the treatment center, we would pull up front and immediately find a wheel chair.  We would get Mom out of the vehicle and one of us would park the vehicle.  It was too taxing on Mom to walk considering how weak and tired she was becoming.  I specifically remember one radiation treatment in particular.  Dad, Bryson, Holden and I were waiting for Mom in the commons area.  We tried our best not to get down but it is really hard not to, especially in a cancer treatment center.  I remember an elderly lady ringing the bell as she walked through the treatment door.  The bell symbolized the final treatment.  I vaguely remember the conversation as the elderly woman was walking by with her radiation mask like Mom’s along with her daughter.  The prognosis sounded great and they were celebrating!  Of course we were excited for her but at that moment it did not seem fair.  

I would guess the woman was probably close to 80 and here was Mom, 55 years old fading before our very own eyes.  Dad and I had a conversation about how much easier it would be to accept Mom’s diagnosis and prognosis of she were elderly but it was unimaginable that she would have to endure this suffering at her age.  The conversation made sense at the time but looking back it seems somewhat selfish.  We are/were so thankful Mom was given almost 20 more years on earth with us because she could have easily not made it to or even through the clinical trial. Hypothetically, if we were faced with the same situation had Mom made it to age 80, we would have wanted to keep her longer.  In addition, my heart goes out to all of the parents whose children have cancer.  It is not fair that their young children have to endure so much pain and suffering at such a young age.  It is all a matter of perspective.  At that moment we had to remind ourselves of how blessed we were that Mom survived the first go around and that our children were healthy.  

Naturally, during our conversation when we were feeling sorry for ourselves, one of the boys had to use the restroom.  As I was helping one, the other pulled the emergency string!  Before I could even comprehend what was going on a team of nurses and staff were barging into the restroom!  Again, it is God’s timing and the little things that made us laugh.  This incident distracted us for a short time and we all got a good laugh out of it.  Before we knew it Mom was waiting for us in her wheelchair in the waiting room as we were collecting ourselves in the restroom after the emergency string incident.  

The weekend before Mom’s final radiation treatment she suggested going to the farm for the weekend.  She knew Dad would enjoy getting away from the city and would like to check out the farm and see how the crops were doing.  Mom was persistent about going to the farm so Dad finally agreed.  The plan was to leave immediately following Mom’s radiation treatment.  We were a little hesitant to leave the Omaha area because we had our routine with Mom.  It was a bit scary going home knowing we would have to modify the way we did things.  Regardless, we were determined to make it happen.  

Mom was a planner and she was also very witty! Needless to say she fooled us all!  We put our heads together after she passed away and realized she wanted to go home one final time.  She wanted to see her home one more time because she knew her health was declining so she wanted to make the most of the opportunity when it presented itself.  She used the farming as an excuse to entice Dad but with the “trickery” there was also genuine desire for Dad to get back to normalcy was well.  Mom’s plan was well thought out.  

Mom completed radiation on Friday, September 21, 2012.  As the nurse wheeled her through the doors following treatment, Mom signaled Holden to come ring the bell for her.  It was a bitter sweet moment.  I asked myself, “Is this really an accomplishment?”  It was an accomplishment in the sense that Mom never verbally complained about going to treatment but we knew this marked Mom’s final treatment.  There was no more treatment available to Mom and all we could do was focus on keeping her comfortable.  I continued to keep a smile on my face as Holden rang the bell but I was crumbling inside.  Mom was given a “Graduation Certificate” for completing radiation and we left the facility. 



Before we headed to Indianola, we had stop at Walgreen's to make sure we had enough Sarna  lotion for Mom’s skin and to make sure her medications were refilled.  Dad went into the pharmacy and Mom, Holden and I waited in the truck.  Mom was in the front seat and I was in the back seat diagonal from Mom.  I could tell she wanted to talk.  I wasn’t sure if she was having a hard time finding the words due to the disease or due to the content of the conversation.  I finally broke the silence by saying something then Mom took over.  She started crying and she said, “I don’t want you guys to be sad.”  At that moment I knew where she was going.  I could feel the tears building up but I refused to let them out.  This was Mom’s moment and I needed to be her rock.  My voice trembled and I said, “Of course we are going to be sad.  We love you!”  She responded, “If this is all that is left for me on this earth, I don’t want it.”  That was another defining moment for me.  We all knew Mom’s health was dwindling but Mom was letting me know she was aware of what the final outcome was going to be.  She was basically waving her white flag.  She continued to say, “I don’t want you guys to be sad and miss me every day.  I want to you continue to live and be happy.  I want you to be there for your children and love them every day!”  I was lost for words but once again, God’s timing was perfect.  I wiped my tears and I looked up and there was Dad.  He got what he needed in the pharmacy, hopped in the truck and off we went.  I was able to gather myself in the backseat and Holden was a great distraction! Following Mom’s treatments she liked going to McDonald’s for a caramel frappe and fries.  We made our usual stop at McDonald’s and headed west towards Indianola. 

The trip went as good as it could have.  We were unsure whether the movement would cause nausea or if Mom’s skin would burn and itch to the point of not being able to make her comfortable.  She slept most of the way home.  I remember pulling over a few times so we could calm the burning and itching with the lotion.   Once we made it to the farm we got Mom inside and comfortable in her recliner.   Rochelle, Scott and the girls arrived shortly thereafter.  As we pulled into the drive, some wonderful neighbors were pulling in and unloading the back of their vehicles with groceries and paper goods.  We opened the refrigerator to find all of the essentials and then some.  I cannot emphasize enough how awesome our neighbors and friends are!  It was very humbling and very much appreciated!  Mom had been talking about wanting potato salad.  I had never made potato salad but was determined to make it for her.  I planned on making it the following morning so we could have it for lunch. 

It was bittersweet being home.  The house had the same welcoming smell it always had.  The pictures were the same and the living room looked like it always had during all of our prior visions home.  Everything was where they left itwhen they left for Omaha on August 31, 2012.  Things were picked up for the most part and in its place but it became evident that Mom had not been feeling good for quite some time.  There were things that were just not characteristic of Mom.  For example, there were piles of clean clothes in the kitchen, office and bedrooms.  She would do the laundry but then not put it away.  The spare room had her clothes hanging on hangers and folded clothes on the bed.  We eventually put the folded towels and clothes in their place.  Mom never liked piles but I couldn’t help but notice some of her magazines were piling up which again was uncharacteristic of her.  I also saw several forms from the cancer policy.  Dad informed me that Mom was trying to file her claims but the insurance company kept denying her claims.  It got to the point where she could not handle it due to her disease.  She was too tired and not feeling well enough to deal with pesky insurance companies.  

Friends and family stopped by that evening and we had a good time reminiscing.  It was a nice distraction from reality and Mom thoroughly enjoyed being home and seeing familiar faces.  Dad spent his time both at home and around the farm.  It was comforting being back home knowing people were home with Mom taking care of her.  At one point during our stay, Mom told Rochelle to make sure Dad had his suit ready.  Rochelle knew what she was getting at and assured her we would take care of it. 

 Anisten and Holden were being typical kids.  They found all of their toys in the basement and brought them upstairs.  There is nothing like having Fisher Price lawn mowers and all of the other loud toys on wood floors. Mom loved the noise and not once did she get upset by it.  She wanted normalcy for her grandchildren and she was happy she could watch and listen to them play.  Kardyn was only 3 months old and Josh and Bryson did not make the trip.   

Several times during Mom’s illness I had to remind myself that what we were experiencing was real, not a dream/nightmare.  There were several times I would dream Mom was dying and would wake up thinking, “Whew.  I am glad that was only a dream.”  It took a few seconds to snap out of it and realize I was dreaming about our real life situation.  I would lay there in the darkness and wonder why all of this was happening.  I am not a patient person and I wanted to know all of the answers now!  I was not mad but curious and extremely sad at the thought of losing Mom.  In my mind we had a year but it was becoming obvious there was no way Mom was going to live a year at the rate she was declining.  

That night, I remember praying, “God, I would love to see Mom walk again.  If it is your will, please let her walk.” I felt like it was wishful thinking but I also believe in the power of prayer.  Mom was such an independent woman and I knew it was very hard on her to rely on others to take care of her and to help her get around.  

The following morning I was in the kitchen peeling potatoes for the potato salad Mom had been talking about.  It was hard being in the kitchen because I desperately wanted things to be “normal.”  In the past, Mom would have had her apron on, music playing and we would have been vising about life in general.  It is almost as if your life is on a reel of tape.  As I was peeling potatoes I had so many flashbacks of our childhood and all of the wonderful memories we shared in the home.  The tears started building up in my eyes when all of a sudden I heard, “click, click, click” in the hallway.  I stopped what I was doing and ran over to see what was going on.   MOM WAS WALKING DOWN THE HALLWAY!  She was using her walker but SHE WAS WALKING!  I literally had chills when I saw this miracle and as I am typing this entry, I have the chills (I bet you do too)! 
I ran to help her and asked, “What are you doing?”  She politely responded, “I had to go to the restroom so that is where I am headed.”  Mom explained to me that she had been yelling for me so I could help her up but apparently I did not hear her.  Her voice had become somewhat “froggy” but I do not blame her voice for not hearing her.  I was not supposed to hear her.  God answered my prayer by allowing Mom to walk.  Mom had not gotten herself up out of bed by herself for several weeks.  That was the last time she got up without assistance from us.  Coincidences do not happen—God happens and God allowed Mom the strength to get her weak body out of bed and down the hallway by herself!  To this day, I am still in awe of this miracle!  As Mark 11:22 states, “Have faith in God.”

The rest of the weekend went well.  We found it was a lot more difficult to care for Mom at the farm mainly because of the layout.  The stairs were difficult at Ro and Scott’s but once we got Mom up stairs for the day, the layout of their home was very accommodating to Mom’s situation. Their shower has a built in area to sit.  Whenever Mom would get weak in the shower, she could sit so she did not fall.  This was not available at the farm.  Mom and Dad were always very appreciative of Ro and Scott offering their home during but being at the farm confirmed over and over again just how grateful they were.  Mom required around the clock care and immediate access to her healthcare providers.  They knew being in Gretna was where they needed to be.

We packed up the vehicles and headed to Gretna.  Ro and Scott drove my vehicle and I rode with Mom and Dad.  We stopped in Lincoln so I could take my vehicle home and they could return to Ro and Scott’s house.  As I previously mentioned, each parting was harder than the last.  Mom was not a crier but as we hugged she squeezed me and I could tell she did not want to let go.  She hugged me tight as she was crying.  I think she knew she knew her time on earth was coming to an end.   We said our “see you laters” and Holden and I left for Olathe to reunite with Josh and Bryson and to get ready for another 3 day work week.  The rest of our family headed towards Gretna to get ready for another week.

Below are the lyrics and a link to the song titled “He Is With Us” by Love & The Outcome


Remember when
Your hope is lost and faith is shaken
Remember when
You wonder if you're gonna make it
There's a hand stretched out
Through your deepest doubt

We can't pretend
To see the ending or what's coming up ahead
Don't know the story of tomorrow
But we can stay close
To the One who knows

CHORUS
We can trust our God
He knows what He's doing
Though it might hurt now
We won't be ruined
It might seem there's an ocean in between
But He's holding onto you and me
And He's never gonna leave, no
He is with us, He is with us, always, always
He is with us, He is with us, always

We believe
There is purpose, there is meaning
In everything
We surrender to His leading
He wants nothing more
Than to have us close

CHORUS

Our faith is sealed
Our hope is real
Come what may
We're not afraid

No comments:

Post a Comment